Help! I need career or business advice!
I get a lot of emails asking about the various aspects of starting a design business, product line, and/or blog. For advice on starting a product line, I highly recommend reading Craft, Inc. by Meg Mateo Ilasco, which gives a great overview of all the aspects of owning a creative, product-based business. Meg and I have also co-written a follow-up, Creative, Inc., about how to be a successful freelance creative. And if you want advice about starting or growing your blog, my book Blog, Inc. covers everything I wish I knew when I had started my blog. Also make sure you’re following my social channels for periodic coverage of these topics.
For more advice, check out some of the recent podcast I have done!
1. Extraordinary Moms Podcast
- #128: Motherhood with Joy Cho of Oh Joy!
2. Rise Podcast with Rachel Hollis
- How To Get A Line at Target with Joy Cho
3. Young House Love
- #58: Why We Stopped Sharing Our Kids on the Internet with Joy Cho
4. Talking in Circles with Laura Miller
– Episode 9: Joy Cho on Art, Entrepreneurship, and Teaching Compassion
5. A Few Things by Of A Kind
- Episode 110: Oh Boy, We’ve Got Joy Cho of Oh Joy! on how I started my company, grow a team, and what’s the hardest thing to let go of as we grow.
6. Out of Line with Caroline Lee
- 13: Joy Cho on shyness and social anxiety
7. Holding Space with Cassidy Freitas
- Creativity, Joy, and Pain with Joy Cho
8. All Girls Considered
- Joy Cho on how I got started in design.
9. Raising the Bar with Alli and Michael
- Jump for Joy on why I currently don't take investors.
10. Coffee and Crayons, A Back to School Podcast from Target
– Inspiring Creativity & Self-Expression with Joy Cho
11. Awesome with Alison
- Mastering growth, confidence and LIFE with Joy Cho!
- Managing a Team and How to Pitch Yourself with Joy Cho
13. Motherly hosted by Liz Tenety
– Joy Cho Opens Up on Being Creative in Motherhood
14. Don't Keep Your Day Job with Cathy Heller
– How to be a Flourishing Freelancer
15. Goal Digger with Jenna Kutcher
– Where To Start: Building A Team with Joy Cho
16. At Home with Linda & Drew Scott
– Joy Cho
17. Second Life with Hillary Kerr
Are you looking for any interns or employees?
Thanks for your interest in working with Oh Joy. We are not currently looking to expand our team. But should an opportunity arise, I'll be sure to post on my social media accounts, so make sure you’re following me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Can you tell me about cool things to do and eat while visiting LA?
For some restaurant recommendations and my favorite shops in Los Angeles, click here to see our Los Angeles category on the blog.
Do you make money from your blog?
Yes. It didn't start out that way, but over the years my blog has gone from a personal hobby to an integral part of my business. It does generate income, which allows me to support my family, my employees, and maintain the high quality of content I strive to produce. All sponsored posts are marked as such. Regardless of the type of sponsorship, I only work with a brand if I feel it is a good fit for my aesthetic, my readership, and something I would buy or use anyway.
An affiliate link means that I receive commission on sales of the products that are linked to in my posts. So if you click on a link and make a purchase from an affiliate site, then I may make a commission from that purchase. The content of my posts are all items and experiences I genuinely like and support, and are not influenced by advertisers.
I'm expecting my first baby and would love your suggestions for cool baby gear, pregnancy picks, or musts for the nursery.
I've put together a baby registry and new mama guide right here! You can also check out all baby-specific posts right here. You can also see all of my family travel favorites right here.
Do you accept guest contributors on the blog?
Currently all content on the blog is created in house by the Oh Joy! team.
How has blogging changed since you started in 2005?
It's changed in a lot of ways. You can read more about that right here.
How has your business evolved since you started in 2005?
It's changed in many different ways! You can read more about it here.
How can I send you my products?
Check out our guidelines for sending product to the studio right here.
How can I buy a product from Target that is no longer on Target.com?
All our Oh Joy for Target lines are limited-run collections that will not restock and are completely gone once they sell out. We don’t keep any inventory or stock of products in the studio to sell to customers after the collection is sold out. So make sure you get everything while the collections are available!
Will you post about my crowd-funded project?
While we obviously admire ingenuity and entrepreneurship, we do not typically feature these type of campaigns. We like to post things that are readily available for sale and don’t want to create confusion for a product that is not available for some time. Once the project has been fully funded and the product is in production, you can email us about sending the product (see above).