With summer in the air, icy cold treats are one of my favorite indulgences. I came across some pink lemons at Trader Joe's and knew we needed to make something with them. So today, we're sharing a recipe for pink lemon and grapefruit granita! Granita is pretty fool-proof because you don't need an ice cream or sorbet maker, and you can make it ahead of time and serve when you're ready. It's fun to eat (or sip) on a hot summer's day…
You'll need (makes 4-5 servings):
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/4 cup agave syrup
– 1 tsp grapefruit zest
– 1 tsp pink lemon zest
– 1 cup unsweetened grapefruit juice (about 1 grapefruit)
– 1/2 cup pink lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
– a dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
– 3/4 cup water
1. Combine sugar, agave syrup, water, cayenne pepper, grapefruit zest, & lemon zest in a small sauce pan. Stir frequently over medium heat until it reaches a steady boil. Let boil for 1-2 minutes.
2. Pour syrup into a small bowl and let sit for 20 minutes.
3. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Pour syrup through a mesh sieve to remove zest.
5. Add grapefruit & lemon juices and mix well.
6. Pour the liquid mixture into a shallow baking pan, cover with plastic wrap, and place in freezer. Let freeze until solid, about 8 hours.
7. Use a fork to scrape it into fine ice crystals, and scoop out to serve. Top with extra cayenne if desired and some basil leaves.