I've always admired those moms who make fun faces or shapes out of food for snack time—there' something so charming about it, but it also seems like it takes a TON of time. So rather than write it off and assume it would take too much time, we challenged ourselves to create a fun, healthy, and delicious afternoon snack for your little ones. Today, we've partnered with Wonderful Halos mandarins, who we've loved as a family snack for years, to bring some playful snacks to life!
1. Blow Fish — Snack time can be hard when your kids are need a boost of energy before dinner and you don't want them to fill up on heavy snacks that will spoil their meal. By turning a Wonderful Halos mandarin into this super cute blow fish, it provides just the right bit of sweetness they crave but in a healthy way. With half of a Halo, we added in carrot sticks to make the spikes, cucumber peels for the seaweed and fish's mouth, and blueberries for the bubbles! Finally, use sprinkles, rice, or sesame seeds for the eyes.
2. Palm Tree — For the summer or as an ode to an upcoming vacation, try making a Halos palm tree! This scene is a fun one that the whole family can nibble at. Use segments of the Halos to create the tree fronds, then add celery for the base, grapes as coconuts, and cucumbers and cucumber peel for the grass. This one is quick and easy and could be created in five minutes!
3. Happy Face — I love this sweet little face! Start by cutting off the very top of the Halo and then add in curled pieces of the rind. Add a sprig of celery leaf and cut eyes and a mouth from the cucumber peel. This one could be customized in so many ways to make the hair as crazy and outlandish as you want. It's also a fun one for kids to take part in help making snack time extra fun.
4. Pattern Play — If you want to get a little more serious, try using Wonderful Halos and some other fruit friends to make a pattern. This is a fun option if you're having a group of kids over after school to make something that feels special. Additionally, it won't take too long for multiple kids to create this one. Simply arrange segments of Halos along with blueberries and sliced kiwis in a pattern on a plate!
5. Puppy — How sweet is this little guy?! This one is guaranteed to bring a smile to your babe's face and award you the Best Parent Ever trophy for making snack time epic. Combined sliced Halos, segmented Halos, and slices of the rind to create the body of the pup with small grapes for the paw, blueberries for the nose, and sprinkles or rice to make the eyes.
When kids enjoy what they are eating, it makes a healthy snack more fun. We promise it will be as fun for you as it is for them!
*This post is brought to you in partnership with Wonderful Halos. All words are my own.