I'm not gluten-free, but I have so many friends and acquaintences who are that I love coming across really tasty books, magazines, and books that share recipes that anyone can enjoy. Launching soon, our friends at Wild Apple Magazine, were kind enough to share this recipe for gluten-free cocoa pancakes with us today just in time for Mother's Day this weekend…
Gluten-Free Cocoa Pancakes
This pancake is also great with chocolate sauce, confectioner’s sugar or bananas sautéed in sugar and butter. Here we serve it with a fresh raspberry sauce, which we love!
-1 teaspoon whole flax seeds
-½ teaspoon psyllium husk powder
-¼ teaspoon chia seeds
-1¼ cups gluten free all purpose flour without added gums* (7 ounces)
-3 tablespoons high quality cocoa powder (3/4 ounce)
-½ cup almond flour (1.8 ounces)
-1 tablespoon sugar
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-½ teaspoon baking soda
-½ teaspoon fine sea salt
-1½ cups milk
-2 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for the pan
-2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1. In a clean coffee grinder, grind flax, psyllium, and chia seeds into a powder. Whisk to combine with flour, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt in a medium bowl. *If using a gluten free all purpose flour that contains gums, eliminate the psyllium, chia, and flax
2. Add milk, butter, and vinegar and whisk until smooth. Let sit for 15 minutes to allow the liquid to absorb into the flour and activate the binding qualities of the ground seeds.
3.Heat a small amount of butter in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
4. Drop batter by the ¼ cupful onto hot pan, once pancakes form bubbles, flip and cook until set, about 2-3 minutes per side. Repeat until all the batter is gone, adding more butter to the pan as needed. Serve immediately with fresh raspberry sauce or hold on a sheet pan fitted with a wire cooling rack in a warm oven until ready to serve.
Fresh Raspberry Sauce
-1½ cups fresh raspberries (6 ounces)
-½ teaspoon lemon zest
-2 tablespoons sugar
1. Mash half the raspberries with the sugar and lemon zest with a fork.
2. Toss with remaining raspberries. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before serving.