Here's our newest wedding DIY video showing a simple and colorful way to make place card holders for a wedding or any sit-down event. You can see the 2nd video in Oh Joy Weddings series on Kin Community below!
See a transcript of the steps below!
Magnetic Place Card Holder
- polymer clay (in various colors – we used hot pink, peach, yellow, mint green)
– shape cutters (we used a heart and an oval)
– clay roller and clay cutter
– circle magnets (we used ¼ inch magnets)
1. Start by preheating your oven to 275 (the temperature might vary based on the brand of clay you use so be sure to the read label and directions for the specific brand you use).
2. Roll out pieces of the clay with a rolling pin to ¼” in thickness.
3. Now you can certainly make these in solid colors, but we like the look of combining a couple colors together. To create a marbling look, roll out 2 separate colors and stack them on top of each other. Roll it and twist it into a ball. Then, flatten with clay cutter to desired thickness and cut out your shapes.
4. Next, place the clay shapes on top of a baking sheet. Bake for 30 mins.
(Times might vary based on the brand of clay you use so be sure to the read label and directions for the specific brand you use).
5. Once cooled, use super glue to glue magnets onto the clay pieces
6. Finally, once you have your place cards ready to go, use the magnets to secure to the front and back of each one. The magnet also serves as a stand to help them stay upright.
// CREDITS //
Brought to you by Oh Joy for Kin Community
Creative Direction: Joy Cho
Video: Jenner Brown
Sound: Dave Wester
Production and Styling: Julia Wester
Production Assistant: Casey Brodley
Graphics: Angie Stalker
Hair and Makeup: Danielle Walch
Location: Elysian LA
Love the idea..very creative Joy. Thanks for sharing!
Joy, the video does not give any information on where the material was bought from. Can you tell us where you got colored clay, and those small magnets from. Thanks a lot
The steps are listed in the video’s information, but I added them to post to make it more clear and links to the clay and magnets 😉
Love this idea – so fun!
Great idea! I always enjoy looking at your pictures. The colors you pick are the best!
Wow! Love your idea! I always enjoy your blog
Thanks for sharing all 🙂
I love this idea!
These are so cute! I love this idea!
Ooo, you should do a tutorial on the cards themselves too! Are they painted with watercolor?
We painted watercolor on paper and then scanned it and added the names in Illustrator 😉
I instantly zeroed in on the magenta, blue, yellow and peach fringe piece hanging in the background. It’s just hanging out in the background “like no big deal” but IT’S BEAUTIFUL. I’m ready to redo my daughter’s bedroom in that color palette right now. Are you able to share a larger picture and what it is exactly? Thank you!
We’re going to show how to make that backdrop in the next video coming in June! 😉