Last month, I turned 37. And while I often joke that I am “so old” because of my numeric age, I always feel like I’m actually in my early 20’s. Now, that doesn’t mean I have the desire to stay up late and party like a young 20-something, but in my mind, I feel younger than I am. As I get older, I realize it’s the really simple things that keep us feeling young. Today, I’ve partnered with No7 to share my go-to tips for feeling young even as you get older…
1. Dance and sing without caring what anyone thinks – I used to really care if I had good rhythm and if my voice sounded okay to others. And what I learned was that I don’t have good rhythm and I’m actually pretty tone deaf. But worrying about what others think of my dancing and singing weighed me down and prevented me from just letting loose and letting myself express how I feel through something so fun and eternally youthful like dancing and singing whenever you feel like it.
2. Laugh at yourself – I’m not perfect. No one is. Sometimes we mess up. Sometimes we fail. Sometimes we say the wrong thing. Laugh it off and know that whatever it is will work itself out, and you’re going to be okay.
3. Take Care of Your Skin – It sounds obvious, but when you feel good about yourself, you feel younger. And your skin is the first thing you see every morning in the mirror. In all honesty, I really haven’t been that proactive with my skincare over the years, mainly because I didn’t want to admit to myself that I was actually getting older. But I recently tried the No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Advanced Serum. The texture is amazing and has made my skin more supple and luminous. It’s become a go-to addition to my morning and evening routine, and I apply a small amount on my whole face after cleansing and before moisturizing for younger looking skin.
4. Go to Bed Two Hours Earlier – As adults, we often spend our evening hours doing bills and laundry or catching up on social media. And before you know it, it’s midnight and you meant to go to bed way earlier. Have you ever regretted going to bed early or have you ever hated feeling well-rested? Probably not. Sleep is one of the keys to feeling like you can go tackle the world the next day. So if you feel tired (like I often do), try going to bed two hours earlier. Chances are you might not be able to actually get to bed until one hour before but that’s still a whole hour more that you won’t regret.
5. Eat Dessert – Grown-ups go on diets. Grown-ups spend so much time obsessing over how they don’t look like they did in high school. Of course, be healthy and do what’s right for your body, but please also remember to treat yourself every once in a while. Because life is too short to (always) be counting calories.
How do you guys keep yourselves feeling young?
*This post is in collaboration with No7. All words are my own.