Happy Friday! If you’re looking for a for dessert to make this weekend, we’re sharing the recipe for this Dark Chocolate Olive Oil Cake by Karen Mordechai of Sunday Suppers. I’ve been a fan of her blog forever, and her newest cookbook Simple Fare is a beautiful and inspiring guide to make delicious and simple recipes. And for a fun twist, most of the recipes have alternate options for you to customize to your particular taste! See how to make this delicious chocolate cake…
For the cake, you’ll need:
– 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
– 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1/2 cup boiling water
– 1 tbsp vanilla extract
– 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1 tsp sea salt
– 1 cup superfine sugar
– 3 large eggs
– Cyprus flake salt
1. Preheat oven to 325. Grease 9 inch springform baking pan.
2. Sift cocoa and whisk in boiling water until smooth. Whisk in vanilla. Set aside to cool.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
4. In third bowl (or stand mixer), beat together sugar, olive oil and eggs until you have a light, fluffy cream (about 3 minutes). Turn down speed and pour in cocoa and vanilla mixture. Slowly add flour mixture.
5. Pour batter in pan, sprinkle with flaky salt. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool.
6. To make the cardamom cream, beat 1/2 cup of heavy cream on medium speed until soft peaks form (about 4 minutes). Add 1/2 tsp ground cardamom and beat until soft peaks form (about 1 minute more). Refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. Finally, serve by sprinkling with more flaky salt and adding a dollop of cream.
This beautiful and simple chocolate cake embodies a balance of sweet and savory. A rich extra-virgin olive oil and a great-quality chocolate will give the best flavor. You can top this cake with any wild or seasonal fruit, petals, and creme of your choice to make it perfect for a party or festive celebration.
Thanks to Karen for sharing this recipe with us. You can find Karen’s book right here. Have a great weekend all!