Today, we have something extra special and really delicious for you…a cake inspired by my recent family trip to Hawaii! It’s a haupia cake with coconut butter cream and ube extract frosting inspired by the authentic Hawaiian desserts (among other delicious foods) we had at our KA WA‘A luau at Disney’s Aulani resort. It’s SO pretty and SO delicious. Here’s how to make it…
For the cake, you’ll need:
– 1 1/2 boxes of white cake mix
– 3 egg whites
– 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (1 can)
– 1 cup water
For the buttercream, you’ll need:
– 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
– 8 tbs coconut milk
– 1 tsp ube extract
– 3-5 cups powdered sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease three 9″ round cake pans and lightly dust with flour.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, coconut milk, and water.
4. With either a standing or electric mixer, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
5. Using a spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter mixture.
6. Evenly pour batter divided between the three cake pans and bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of each cake.
7. Let cakes sit for 5 minutes before removing from cake pan, and let fully cool on a cooling rack.
8. For the buttercream, combine the butter and coconut milk in a large bowl. Whisk together using either a standing or electric mixer until creamy.
9. Begin by adding 2 cups of the powdered sugar, gradually adding a bit at a time until you reach a light and fluffy consistency (this will depend on how soft the butter was).
10. Add ube extract and mix until fully combined.
11. Top final layer of cake with frosting and smooth a thin layer around the sides of the cake using a cake spatula or butter knife. The frosting should show some of the cake through it for a semi-naked cake look. Then, top with flowers!
Ta-dah! Isn’t it gorgeous? It’s such a perfect dessert for spring or summer parties because it’s light, not TOO sweet, and brings Hawaii right to your home.
*This post and previous trip is in partnership with Disney’s Aulani resort.
Sources shown: Target Firefly paint, Target table runner, Target appetizer plates (past season), Target green floral vase, Target white vase, Target palm candle holder, Target gold cake server, Aheirloom cake stand, West Elm mint vase.