As we head into the weekend, we're leaving you with a few of our favorite ideas for accent walls! There are countless ways to create an accent wall, whether you're using a solid paint color, a mural, or wallpaper. We love using them for an unexpected dose of fun, to make a bold statement, or to instantly give a space personality without having to completely redo a room.
So today, we're diving into the Oh Joy! archives to show you a few of our favorites from years past. If you've been thinking about creating one in your home but aren't sure how to do it OR are on the fence about it, we're here to show you how it's done and help make all of your accent wall dreams a reality. Check it out…
1) Shape it up! Add a geometric shape behind your bed to give your room a fun focal wall like we did in this yellow and blue bedroom. It's a fun way to make a headboard if you don't have one or if you can't find one you love. We opted for a classic blue and white option here, but you can do whatever color combo you want with whatever shape you want.
2) Go Abstract! We love going super abstract with a fun scribble pattern. For this, we went with a black and white theme to keep things simple (we then added in some pops of color). Going abstract is a great option if you don't want everything to be super precise or perfect. You can have the kids help, too, if you want!
3) Wallpaper! When in doubt, grab your favorite wallpaper, and get to work! Whenever we fall head over heels for a wallpaper pattern that is BOLD (like this dreamy floral wallpaper), we like to just put it on one wall to make a statement without overwhelming the room. This is a great way to ease into bold designs if you're a little hesitant.
4) Be bold! If you want to go all in and give this accent wall thing a try, we love a good rainbow stripe wall. It's a bold option but is so fun, and believe it or not, it can be used in lots of rooms (see how we styled it three ways here!). To go the extra mile, try styling items in the room to correspond with the stripes. It's not always practical, but if you can get away with it, it makes a big impact.
5) Make it a Color-Block! For a little more whimsy, make a color-blocked wall! This is a great option if you want to define a space, like we did here with a kid's corner and shelves on the wall. Make sure to chose complimentary shades of whatever colors you pick, and have fun with it!
And, have a great weekend!