Bring on the fall decor! Autumn color schemes usually skew towards burnt oranges, browns, and deep reds. But today, we’re showing you how to bring in some fresh color (while still feeling autumnal and chic!) with a fun door decal DIY and a gorgeous wreath. Here’s what you need to know to recreate both for your home…
To make the door decal…
1. You can either use craft paper or vinyl adhesive (if you’d like to make it more permanent and weather-proof).
2. Use scissors to cut out fun abstract shapes.
3. If using vinyl, peel off backing and stick to the door. Or, use double sided tape if using craft paper.
To make the wreath…
1. Trim the faux flowers/greenery so that there is about 2″ of wire stem.
2. Begin with the bottom layer of greenery. These are usually the leafy pieces that help to ground the wreath and add a base for your more speciality florals. Simply stick the wire stem through the wreath and wrap behind to secure. Continue to add this base layer varying shapes and textures for an interesting mix!
3. Add the top layer of flowers, special leaves, mini pumpkins, pine colors, and embellishments for color and texture. These top pieces are the stars of the show and add pops of color and that autumn feeling we’re going for. Mix up colors, shapes, and sizes so it’s not too symmetrical and till it feels just right for you! Fasten in the back with wire as in the previous step.
The colors we used aren’t traditional “fall” colors, but they’re more muted and still autumnal with the various shades of green, sky blues, and corals instead of bright oranges. Julia and Jess, who created this project, even threw in some purple (which I used to hate and suddenly am liking more and more ;).