To celebrate Lunar New Year, I’m making these Celebration Mochi Donuts! I love mochi, and I love donuts…and these are a perfect marriage of the two! And of course, no Oh Joy! treat is complete without sprinkles for that extra serving of happiness! If you try them out, let us know how they turn out!
For the Topping:
– Powdered Sugar
For the Mochi donuts:
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 tablespoon corn starch
– 3/4 cup glutinous rice flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 3.5 oz silken tofu
– 1 egg
– 2 tbsp water
– About 1 cup vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients: the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, glutinous rice flour, and sugar. Set aside.
2. Over another bowl, press the tofu through a fine-mesh sieve using the back of a spoon and then scraping into a bowl.
3. Add the water and egg to the tofu, then combine.
4. Add the tofu mix to the flour mixture and combine using a spatula or large spoon. Then knead with hands until all ingredients are combined.
5. Form balls of dough about 1″ in diameter.
6. Fill a wide pot or pan with about 2 inches of oil and heat on high. Once hot, test with the first donut. You’ll know it’s hot enough when there is a slight sizzle when the donut goes in. Depending on the heat of your stove, you’ll keep between medium to high while frying.
7. Gently drop the holes into the hot oil. You can fry many at one time depending on size of your pan, but make sure there is space between them and don’t crowd the pan. The donut holes will immediately sink to the bottom for the first 30 seconds, then they will float back up. Rotate them as needed, until the donut holes are puffed up and lightly golden brown. Then take them out with the slotted spoon and lay them on a cooking rack to drain.
8. Now sprinkle powdered sugar on top (using a sieve ideally) and add star sprinkles. Enjoy while warm!