I’m always looking for fun treats for Halloween that don’t add to the mounds of candy my kids will get trick-or-treating. So, these fruit leather friends are the perfect balance of fun and delicious! In partnership with KitchenAid, here’s my take on it with an extra fun surprise just in time for Halloween!
Playful Warning: While this is easy to make, the bake time on this recipe is loooong, so I love my KitchenAid SmartOven+ because I can use the KitchenAid app on my phone to preheat the oven while I’m prepping ingredients and set the timer to turn the oven off after the multiple-hour cooking time. I don’t have to remember – the oven does it for me!
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees (use convection setting if you have that option). I used the KitchenAid app to preheat my SmartOven+ remotely to get it started
- Add ripe or thawed fruit to a blender with sugar and lemon juice.
- Blend until smooth and there are no chunks (smoothie consistency)
- Pour onto a baking pan with silicone mat
- Spread with a spatula to make a thin layer
- Bake for 3-6 hour until you can touch the surface without it sticking to your finger
- Let cool and then remove with a spatula
- Cut into strips, roll, and tie with string
- Add candy eyeballs by sticking with honey
- Eat right away or store in a covered container
Now I look like a “put together” mom, even if these sit in the oven for a bit because my SmartOven+ stopped cooking right when it was supposed to. They are so fun and make great snacks or additions to lunchboxes, too!
Photos by Lily Glass
This post is in partnership with KitchenAid. Thank you for reading and supporting our small business!