Weekday mornings are always go-go-go for our family. So I love having breakfast options that are easy and healthy for the kids that can be prepped in advance. These monster muffins are full of nutrients (we snuck some spinach in there), great to have on hand when picking up the kids after school, or even to bring with you to work for a pick-me-up throughout the day. Here’s how to make them…
For the muffins, you’ll need…
– 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 1 large egg
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 2 cups fresh organic spinach
– 1 ripe banana
– 1/3 cup maple syrup
– 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
You can also add…
– chia seeds (into the blender with the wet ingredients)
– chopped nut of choice (sprinkled on top of the muffin before going into the oven or folded into the batter)
– chocolate chips (sprinkled on top of the muffin before going into the oven or folded into the batter)
For the glaze, you’ll need…
– 1 cup powdered sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
– 1-2 tablespoons milk
A few fun toppings to add!
– eye picks
– edible glitter (hearts, multi-colored)
– freeze-dried berries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl—flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Put the wet ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend – applesauce, egg, vanilla, spinach, banana, maple syrup and coconut oil
4. Add the wet mixture from the blender to the dry ingredients.
5. Slowly fold together the wet and dry ingredients until combined. The mixture should resemble thick pancake batter, but if the mixture feels dense add a splash of milk. Make sure not to over mix.
6. Scoop the batter into greased muffins tins or into muffin liners – I love using an ice cream scoop to divvy them up evenly.
7. Bake at 350 degrees (12 minutes for mini-muffins or 17 minutes for regular-sized muffins).
8. Mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and drizzle over muffins. Top with freeze dried berries and/or edible glitter.
Enjoy warm out of the oven or refrigerate in a covered container in the refrigerator.
There you go! They’re super easy, tasty, and HEALTHY! Enjoy them warm out of the oven or store them in a covered container in the refrigerator for later.