It's finally feeling like fall here in LA in the last couple weeks, and I'm just loving it. As a child of immigrant parents, we never did seasonal things like apple picking (my parents just weren't aware of it because it wasn't a part of their culture). So it's been fun starting new traditions like this with my own family. Since we all love apple pie so very much, a few weeks ago, we took the kids apple picking so that we could show them what goes into (eventually) making an apple pie. Click on the video below to see our Apple Pie Adventures and subscribe to the Oh Joy channel for more videos!
And if you want to recreate my favorite apple pie, see more below!
– pie crust dough (use this recipe or get store-bought crust)
– 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (pick apples that have a bit of tang)
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– a pinch of vanilla
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– juice from 1/4 of a lime
1. Heat oven to 425°F. Place 1 pie crust in an ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom.
2. In large bowl, mix all of the filling ingredients and then fill the crust-lined pie plate. Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust then top with the second crust. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal. Press the edges to make a scalloped pattern.
3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cover edge of crust with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil after first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent it from getting too brown. Cool on counter for at least 1 hour before serving. (Or just dig in sooner like I do and risk the slight burning sensation that's worth that warm apple pie goodness). Enjoy!
// CREDITS //
Brought to you by: Oh Joy, Orbit Baby, and ErgoBaby. In the video, we are using the infant car seat, toddler car seat, stroller seat, sidekick board, and 360 carrier.
Creative Direction: Joy Cho
Video: Jenner Brown
Music: "All Together Now" by The Likes of Us
This post is brought to you in collaboration with Orbit Baby and ErgoBaby—brands I've been using and loving since my first was born four years ago. All content, ideas, and words are my own. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and original content like this for Oh Joy.